Who wouldn't want a Birthing Fairy Godmother, here are 10 great reasons why you may want to think about inviting a doula to your baby’s birth.
1. A Doula can help you to feel better about your birth experience. 82% of women who have the support of a doula during their babies’ births are more likely to feel positive about their birth experiences
2. A Doula can leave your partner free to focus more fully on his key role during the birth: providing you with emotional support.
3. A Doula can help to take some of the pressure off your partner. Having someone else on hand to support you can allow him to take a guilt-free dinner or bathroom break.
4. A Doula can help to reduce the likelihood that you will require an epidural. 45% less women, who used the support of Doula in labour, requested an Epidural
5. A Doula can offer helpful suggestions on ways to cope with the labour when you’ve pretty much run through your own repertoire of coping strategies.
6. A Doula can help breastfeeding get off to the best possible start.
7. A Doula can help to answer your questions about the birthing process and provide on-the-spot reassurance when you need it.
8. A Doula can help you advocate for yourself with the hospital staff and ensure that your voice is heard.
9. A Doula can promise to be there, even if your partner can’t. If there’s a chance that your partner isn’t going to be there at the birth or if you’re going to be giving birth without a partner, a doula can provide you with some much-needed support.
10. A Doula can act as your cheering section. When you’re trying to weather the storms of transition, sometimes you just need someone to tell you that you’ve got what it takes to get through this.